When planning all the details of your wedding, it would be understandable if you didn’t give much thought to your hairstyle. But, your wedding dress, makeup, accessories, and hair will pull your look together on the big day.
Your bridal hairstyle will almost always be dictated by your dress. Some necklines are more suitable for up-dos while others look better with a down-do.
Your wedding hairstylist will know the best hairstyles for any wedding dress and should be the first person you ask for advice, but this guide gives you some idea of what styles might suit you and your style.
Here are a few options for the best hairstyles for your wedding dress neckline:
Best Hair Styles for Your Wedding Dress Neckline
The wedding gown is the critical piece of any bridal look. Everything about your bridal outfit should work well with this focal point. Bridal accessories, makeup, jewelry, and veils go into the bridal look.
When choosing a hairstyle, you should consider the neckline of your dress. Here are some things to consider based on the neckline:
Strapless dresses are a wedding classic and universally flattering. They also offer many options for hairstyles, including:
- Half Updo: Not an updo, but not loose—this style offers the best of both worlds. This is an incredibly popular look that will never go out of style.
- Accessorized Look: This style of wedding dress has no straps, so you can quickly wear hair accessories to turn your hair into an art form. You can accessorize your hair to suit your wedding style and personal vibe – from a fascinator to a tiara or even something like a crown of flowers.
- Long, Loose, and Sleek: Some brides find traditional updos difficult and uncomfortable, especially if they feel less confident in style. Strapless gowns are perfect for the bride who wishes for a bridal hairstyle that is face-framing but comfortable.
Off The Shoulder
An off the shoulder gown should be worn with hair that allows the style of the dress to shine; try one of the following:
- Retro Waves: Harkening to glamorous Hollywood, retro waves pair beautifully with an off the shoulder gown. Retro waves are versatile, too. Brides can choose from sleek and elegant to loose and beachy, making them perfect for any wedding style.
- Chignon Updo: The chignon, the cousin to the bun, elevates your off-the-shoulder wedding dress. This classic style is a low updo where the hair is tucked and pinned. A chignon shows off the shoulders beautifully while still being elegant and classic.
- Bohemian Floral Crown: Off the shoulder bridal dresses are perfect for wreaths and floral crowns. They can be combined with retro waves, loose braids, or a chignon to achieve a bohemian chic look.
Sweetheart, V-Neck, or Plunging Neckline
Brides opting for a sweetheart, v-neck, or plunging neckline have many options to choose from when choosing a wedding hairstyle; some of our favorites include:
- Loose, Braided Updo: An interesting neckline is paired perfectly with a loose, braided updo. This versatile style seasonally suits a summer wedding or early fall wedding. It also is perfect for the beachfront, lakeside, and rustic weddings.
- Soft Waves: Soft waves are relaxed and romantic and perfect for a destination wedding or for the bride who loves the look of beachy waves.
- Loose Curls: If you’re not looking for a sculpted curl but still want more definition than soft waves, loose curls might be ideal. Brushing out curls will make them softer and less defined, perfectly paired with a sweetheart, v-neck, or plunging neckline.
- High Volume Pony: Liven up your bridal style with a high-volume ponytail. This style looks effortless and chic and fits with many different wedding themes.
An asymmetrical neckline is a statement in itself; therefore, your hairstyle should allow it to shine. Consider these styles:
- Half Up, Half Down: For brides who want to keep their hair out of their eyes and still have it look neat, a half up, half down hairstyle is perfect. You can style this with a loose crown braid, bun, or twist that turns into a loose half-up, half-down style that’s casual but still has an element of elegance.
- Low Updo: Keep your hair off the neckline of an asymmetrical look by choosing from a sleek or messy low updo. You can try twisted braids, low buns, or an elegant chignon.
Halter or High Neckline
The halter neckline is a great way to make your shoulders look narrower and highlight the bust, while high necklines provide a modest elegance that many brides love. Hairstyles that are perfect for a halter or high neckline are:
- High Updo: High updo hairstyles have been popular for centuries, and rightfully so! They are timeless and elegant so that you can look romantic or sophisticated. Details make all the difference in your hairstyle, so create a messy top knot bun for an ultra bohemian vibe, or wear sleek and swept back for a more formal look.
- Party Pony: The party pony is an excellent choice for a halter or high neckline wedding gown, giving a fun and playful appearance with high volume at the top and through the pony. It should also stay in place throughout the reception, which is perfect for dancing.
- Braided Pony: The braided ponytail offers a fun twist on the low ponytail and a bohemian braid. With hair kept away from the neckline, brides can choose fun earrings and accessories for the hair.
- Low Updo: Halter and high neckline wedding gowns look best with hair that is held back. A low updo provides an alternative for brides looking for an alternative to the high updo.
Backless wedding gowns are a showstopper, and your hair should allow your back to be in the spotlight. We love the following hairstyles:
- High Pony: A clean, trendy high ponytail is never a mistake. It’s also one of the simplest ways to look put-together in seconds and will show off your gown.
- Fishtail: Fishtail braids are great for any wedding. Whether it’s a formal, black tie wedding or more casual beachfront nuptials, they’ll keep your hair out of your face and ready to dance the night away while showing off the back of your wedding gown.
- Underbraid: A well-done french braid is a chic hairstyle for long hair. To create a simple, comfortable hairstyle for a backless wedding gown, tuck the end of your braid under to avoid it being in your face or on your shoulders and neck all day.
Find a Couture Wedding Dress with Viero Bridal
Choosing what hairstyle to wear for your wedding day can be difficult. But before you decide, you need to find a wedding gown.
At Viero Bridal, we offer many couture wedding dresses, including ball gowns, mermaid, and A-line dresses. They are all made from high-quality fabrics and designed by some of the industry’s most renowned wedding designers. We also offer custom-designed wedding gowns that fit your specific measurements, so you will be able to find the dress of your dreams.
Ready to find your wedding gown? Visit one of our flagship locations in New York, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angeles to see our selection of couture wedding gowns. Contact us to book an appointment today.